In the layout of the folder page, the menu entries that create objects of different types are located in four places:
• In the top menu bar, you may create objects in the current folder by selecting the object type entry from the File New menu, e.g. File New Folder creates a new subfolder of the current folder. The action form has three sections:
• In the ‘General’ section, you enter the name and optional tags and description.
Note: Starting with BSCW version 5.1,
folder and document names may only use a restricted character set in order to
ensure a better compatibility with the naming conventions of the different
operating systems (e.g. when downloading a BSCW archive). When creating a new
folder, you will be notified of an invalid name (e.g. containing one of the
following characters \ * : ? / < > | "). In this case you have to correct
the name before you can create the folder.
Invalid names of existing folders or documents from an older BSCW version are only changed when you duplicate folders or documents (e.g. by copying) or when your BSCW administrator arranges for all invalid names to be made valid.
• If you are manager of the current workspace, you will see two additional sections of the action form. In the ‘Document Review’ section, you can define a review process for the documents of the folder to be created (details in 12.3 Document review). In the ‘Auto Versioning’ section, you specify whether documents in the new folder are to be automatically put under version control (details in 8.3.6 Automatic versioning).
• Finally hit [OK] to create the new folder.
• The action shortcut bar allows for creating frequently used objects in the current folder, e.g. clicking on also creates a new subfolder in the current folder with exactly the same action form as above.
• The context menu allows for creating new objects in the current folder by selecting the object type from the New menu, e.g. New Discussion Forum creates a new discussion forum in the current folder.
• The action menus of folder entries (or entries of other container objects like discussion forums, website folders or projects) also offer a New menu for creating new objects; e.g. New Poll in the action menu of a subfolder creates a new poll in this subfolder.
All actions for the creation of a new object will bring up a form in which to enter the information that BSCW needs to create the new object. The form depends on the object type selected. For the different object types see 3.2 Shareable objects.
You can change the properties of an object after creation by
• selecting Change Properties in the action menu of the object.
The action form for changing the properties of an object is the same as the form for creating an object and depends on the object type. With a folder, e.g., the action form has the three sections ‘General’, ‘Document Review’ and ‘Auto Versioning’, in which you my change the name, tags and description of the folder and its settings concerning document review and automatic versioning of documents contained in the folder (the latter only if you are manager).
Some objects may only be created within specific other objects, e.g. notes may only be created within discussion forums, phases may only be created within projects. Creation of communities via the File menu is only possible in your home folder.
Note: You may create shared workspaces in your home folder via File New Workspace , which is a shortcut for first creating a private folder and then inviting other users as members (see 3.3.3 Inviting members). This menu entry is available only in home folders and is meant to avoid a confusion of workspaces and communities for new BSCW users.